Monday, July 27, 2009

The Crystal Merchant Inspired Me Not To End Up Like Him

I just finished The Alchemist last week. Part of my New Year Resolution, the 2009 one, if anyone wonders, is to find a hobby. A hobby other than slouching on the couch and watch TV until it's time to go to bed.
And hence the reading.

I love fables.
And though I don't really 100% agree with what Coelho said in that book, I appreciate his work.
The book is somewhat a reality bitch-slap for me though.
I do have a job.
But is it really something that I want to do?
In the book (okay,... spoiler alert for those who want to read the Alchemist, but haven't), there was a old crystal merchant who have a shop. A long time ago, when he was young, being the devoted Moslem that he is, he always wanted to go to Mecca. But he thought that he wanted to work and be rich first so that he can afford a trip to Mecca.
It was tens of years ago and every year he sees people passing by with their caravans, going to Mecca. Even people who were poorer than him.
Their faces were happy. Because they were going to Mecca.
And now he's old, and all his life, the one thing that keeps him going is the thought that one day he will go to Mecca, but now that he can afford it, he is afraid.
If he goes to Mecca, then after that, what would he be looking forward to in life?

I don't want to be that old man.

I want to go to my 'Mecca', as early as I can.
Why wait? I don't even know if I am still breathing tomorrow.
Well, hopefully I will. I have an early and important meeting with some clients.

I need to figure out what I want in life. Is being an IT whore (pardon my curse) really what I want to do? Is it what I aspired to be?

I have a friend who was just diagnosed with Lymphoma. It is basically a type of cancer. She called me and told me the biopsy result and instead of consoling her, I bursted into tears, I was so heartbroken. She's such a sweetheart. She was the one who then consoled me (nice going, Bluecactus).
But it got me think about life, and how uncertain it is. And I have been counting my blessings ever since and try to be positive. And it is hard, you know, because complaining is so darn easy. When you have an idiot as a boss, for example. (Insert smiley face).

But I am not waiting anymore. I want to live life to the fullest. It doesn't mean, clubbing every night, drink, try all the illegal drugs, swing from a stripper pole. But to live right, to take care of my own mental and physical health.
Plan to execute my forgotten life goals.
Do charity. try to be kind, be patient, be strong, be wise.
Live, love, laugh, people often say.
Then hopefully at the end of the day, I will have no regrets.

3 comments:

Scal said...

Hmmm.... are we in the mid-life crisis now? *Sigh.....

Wilson said...

and here I thought swinging from a stripper pole IS taking care of your physical healths.... cue carmen elektra.....:-)

it IS dillematic, isn't it...all this mid lifey "what I want to do in life" crisis thingy....

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Oh,... Wilson, if I swing from a stripper pole, I'd break my back.

I am in a late quarter life crisis actually... ;) Seven years late...