Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Marvin Gaye VS. Suicide Bombing

No matter how far you are from home. Home is home.
And no matter how you love your new home, old home brings back irreplaceable memories. Don't you think? And I happen to have very fiiiine memories of my old home.
I just got the news a few days ago, It was on CNN.com. There was another suicide bomb in my hometown.
I mean, what the heck?!?!?!
I'm not writing this trying to finger-point anything, anybody or any kind of situation. I'm not a politic expert, religion expert. I'm not even a devoted newspaper reader. I read newspaper to see the entertainment columns, or to find recipes (and not ashamed of it, so don't start on that one).
But it was painful to see that happen. A friend forwarded pictures of the tragedy. And, let just say, I don't want to be graphical about it.
However, my whole family live there, my dad use that route often times. Even I used that route almost everyday on my way back home from campus, and later on, on my way back from some webmaster course that I took.

I'm not gonna be analytical about the whole situation, but here's my two cents:

A mother died instantly when she was waiting (with her five year-old daughter) to get into the Australian Embassy. The little girl survived, though. But she's on critical condition, and was fled to Singapore for further treatment. Now, tell me, where's the noble deed in bombing yourself when this is the result? And that's just one of the stories I heard so far.
The morning after, I called home just to make sure that my family was doing okay. It was so weird to hear my mom talking that day. She was so calm. We talked about many other stuffs and she only mentioned little of the bomb. I was heartbroken. Heartbroken because of the fact that my family has grown so much anticipation on this kind of terror that it no longer shakes them to the core. They are used to live in such terror & insecurity and just carry on with their life. How sad is that? Living here, in my own little world. Everything seems okay, I wish more than anything that I can share my peace of mind with them.

I love Marvin Gaye, some of his songs are mighty fine. There's this one song 'What's Going On'. I think we all should listen to it and really think about the message. " We don't need to escalate, War is not the answer, For only love will conquer hate".


No comments: