Monday, February 14, 2005

Why Feb 14th?

Valentine's day is on the 14th (this is a note to a guy friend of mine who one time asked me when Valentine's day is), which, by the way, is today,... And which I forgot this morning when I called my boyfriend to wake him up, until I got a text message from a friend saying happy Vday later during the day.
During lunch time the mailroom staff were busy distributing flowers to all the floors. I feel bad for them, today, they might not have the chance to sit down and have a decent amount of lunch time. No pun intended to all the love birds out there who make a big deal out of Valentine. I don't, just because I don't see why I should. I don't even know Valentine's full name. It's not his birthday, it's the day he got slayed. And though, my boyfriend sends me flowers anually during those times of the year, I won't be upset if he did not send me any. Well, actually on our first Valentine he missed sending me flowers (hahaha... but that's another story. He'll kill me if kiss and tell).
Don't you think that Valentine's day is a mass propaganda of the greetings card companies and all other major business (chocolate, restaurant, flowers,.... and many others that I just can't spill out on top of my head)?
But, hey, I'm not a Valentine hater. I just don't feel like I need to fully participate in it. Valentine is overrated,... and sometimes the birthdays of our parents are underrated. Or their anniversary, or your nephews first day to school. Those days are important for me. Valentine's day... .well.... as far as the western culture goes, it might be just another day when you, as a guy, have to buy your significant other some flowers, and take her to dinner, or you'll end up on the couch tonight.
As for my boyfriend and I, we tried having dinner on Valentine's day, he ordered flowers fedexed from California, and so on, and yes I had some fun, but I would say my Valentine's day is not on Feb 14th. It was on those nameless meaningless days when we had thai or mexican and when we had picnic on north beach shore with crazy fearless birds flying about my head and I kept telling my boyfriend I had this vision that they'll poop on our heads.

You know, this necklace makes me think of this totally random memory of my mother. I was a little kid, and I was crying for whatever reason. And she was cradling me, rocking me back and forth, and I can just remember the silver balls rolling around. And there was snot dripping all over my face. She offered me her sleeve and told me to blow my nose. I can remember, even as a little kid, thinking to myself, "This is love... this is love." - Garden State

No comments: