Thursday, April 01, 2010

Chapter 1: The Wedding Cake

I don't know if everyone in Indonesia know that the big wedding cake that the bride and groom cut is fake.
Was I the only person who didn't know this?
You see, there were times in the past that I thought that the cake is real. Somehow, in the back of my head, I thought that the cake was constructed, or whatever to make it stand 5, 7, 9 or even 11 tiers without the bottom layers to be mushed down by the upper layers.
Until, a friend of mine, Edi, told me his experience: Noooo, the cake guy will tell you: Potongnya yg sebelah sini aja ya... soalnya yg daerah sisanya itu gabus. Or in translation: Only cut this part because the rest of the cake is made of styrofoam.
What?!
So I told my mom I want the real cake. It's kinda humiliating cutting a syrofoam cake. It's fake.
But my mom said, okay, but it is going to cost us more.
Really?
To have a real cake?
I mean... I don't want it to be made of gold. Just some flour, butter and eggs.

But, yes. It cost us much more.

So, I thought, okay, let's do the fake one.

Then I looked at some of the pictures.
Man.. those cake are huge.
And I mean HUGE.
I wish I have some time to google the cake. You can fit 3 Marilyn Monroe in there, complete with their boas and equipments ready to jump out any time singing whatever you want them to sing.
I also saw a picture of my friend, again, Edi... when he cut it, he cut the cake with a sword.
Yes. A Samurai.
If only my friend Edi wore yellow outfit, he would've been Uma Thurman in Kill Bill.
When my mom mentioned to the banquet people that I don't want huge cake they said: But madame, with our ballroom's high ceiling, the cake would look very very disproportioned.
Okay, fine... let still make it big, but at least let me cut with a knife.

So I informed this to my Wedding Organizer, copying my dad in the email.

Then I got an email back from my dad, how he thinks that it would not look nice if the cake is not big enough.

DARN IT!
First of all, I compromised not having a REAL CAKE for my wedding. The real one will be in the kitchen. Looking small and sad.
Secondly It's made of Styrofoam. I have to cut it on the exact spot because if I cut it from a different angle I will have to cut it with a chainsaw.
Third, it is going to be big. Who are we fooling anyway (except me, in the past) that it is not real? I mean look at the size. No cake can be this big. There's no oven in this world that can bake a thing that BIG. Everyone knows it's fake.
At leasssstttt, eventhough it is big and fake, let it be big in such a way that I can still cut it with a knife.
A knife.
That's all I want.
And my dad had a say in it.
So that was when I replied back to him saying: Dad, let me cut it with a knife. Butt off. (In a different words, of course, but same meaning).

So, on my wedding day, help me Lord if I see the cake as humongous as an elephant. Someone will have hell to pay.

3 comments:

Scal said...

Fooled or not, those gigantic cake would look nice in the photo and for setting the mood in the room.

Trust me, I have known that big part of the cake is fake since I can remember (exaggerating here), and it didn't affect my cheers to see the bride and groom, hand in hand, holding those knife (*ouch*, samurai you may say), cutting the cake, from the top layer to the bottom layer.

And if my comment further, noone can see you holding the knife, especially if CDC's hands is soooo huge :p

chocoholic said...

roomie, may I suggest meeting halfway: Since knife won't be obvious, and samurai is too long.... how about a cleaver? then u probably won't hv to worry even if u hit the styrofoam :P

just kidding...
I'll try to bring some brown paper bag for u to breathe that day...

Wilson said...

an alternative BC, if I may,

build yourself a giant fake white cake-y thing... and on top of it, a real chocolate cake.
Of course u and hubby will have to climb a ladder (or be flown up by a David Copperfield-like hoist) to cut it, but hey, it'll look magnificent...
and, of course, everyone'll be talking about it for years to come...:-) "did u see that flying bride thing??"