Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rant

Today, I learned that a coworker who was just joined the team last year, whom I interviewed, got a raise.
On his yearly performance review a few weeks ago, my back boneless boss told him that there are no raises this year for anyone.
Ever since, the performance review, he nagged the heck out of my boss.
And so today, he got a raise.
I didn't know that nagging works. And I didn't know that raises is based on the level of nagging that you need to do to your boss. I thought it was based on your freaking performance.
Silly me.

Silly BlueCactus.

I went home feeling disgusted by my boss. Michael from 'The Office' might be comical, but having a boss like that in real life makes you hate yourself for hanging around and do nothing about your career.

I really feel like s***. And I am furious that I am letting this happen.
No, not the raise that my coworker got. That I don't care. But that I'm letting a crappy job holds the advancement my career. That I'm not fighting for my rights. That I hold on to this job which should have paid me thousands more bucks per year.

Basically for losing the gumption that I once had in life.

So I went home, put on my running shoes and I ran. I ran outside, in the dark, alone, in the cold.
I'm seriously considering running for the marathon.
I'm done sitting around being a couch potato watching Grey's Anatomy reruns.
Stupid TV.
It's just a hindrance and distraction from greater and better things in life.

I know finding a job is tough nowadays, but I'm gonna give it a try. This means I need to study, because in this IT world, an interview means a hard-core session of pop-quiz.
And I'm going to nail it.
Damn it.

Pardon my rant today, guys.

I need an outlet.

4 comments:

chocoholic said...

Hey roomie,

Waking up late is better than never... That is what I told myself when I decided to jump over to my current job. Not that it's all paradise here, but hey... at least I have more freedom and I get to have a larger share of the pie.

Remember how I got my promotion and raise at my previous job only after I told my boss I had turned down a job offer? And how they offered me yet another raise and promotion when I told them I was leaving?

If there was only one thing I learned from my working life, it is simple: What you never ask for, you will never get.

It's time to stand up for ourself.

Whoever taught us that appreciation will come automatically after you work hard didn't know better.
Appreciation comes only when you ask for it.

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Yeah, Chocoholic.
The thing is, with my boss' level of my dependency, I really would like to see his face when I resign. And if he, then, offers a raise, I want to tell him that he can shove his offer to you-know-what.

One funny thing though. I really needed an outlet and needed a loud angry song which I can blast throughout the house (husband was in the church). But all I could find was: Coltrane for lovers CD, Sade, Tony Bennett, Simply Red, Bob Marley. LOL...

Wilson said...

Honestly BC, every girl needs an Alanis Morisette CD somewhere.... it is VERY useful in such unforeseen circumstances.
and a LInkin Part something

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Later I found my husband have that Fall Out Boys CD, but ugh... it gave me headache. I might try that Alanis CD. ;)