Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Wrinkle Cream

In less than 2 months, I will be 34 years old.
Yes, I am approaching my mid thirty era. I found myself feeling disappointed when in some survey I have to choose my age bracket as: between '32 - 40'. And I found myself feeling light and joyful answering a survey where my age bracket is between '26 - 34'.

My mom, she's sixty something. She has all these excruciatingly expensive cream jars lining up on her dresser. Night cream, day cream eye cream, toner, serum, wrinkle cream and many many more.
When I called her last week and the subject of expensive cream came up, I told her that I don't wear any cream. Except one. A $7.00 cream jar that I bought from the drug store. It works for me and so I'm sticking with it.
There was a split second silence followed by an exclaim "Astaga...", which if translated freely in English would basically mean: "Holy cow..."
She has hundreds of dollars worth of cream.
She said, she's using a $650 cream. One tiny jar of cream.
Wow.
She said, buy something more expensive. I said, why? The $7 one works.

I don't wear powder or foundation. My skin is bare except of that transparent cream.

Is using $7 cream considered being cheap?
But also, is using $650 cream considered vain? Maybe I don't understand it just yet. I should wait a few more years and revisit this post. See if I jump and call my mom asking the name of that cream.

I have been watching my eyelids lately. They are the wrinkliest than have ever been. I once told myself, when the time comes, I want to grow old gracefully.
This means no Botox. No collagen injection. No plastic surgery. No nip tuck.
I'm wondering what the category of a $650 jar of cream would be. In the same bucket as Botox & nip tuck?

There has got to be something 'magical' in that little jar. I wonder what. And I guess I will have to buy it to find out.
Or... maybe... not.

4 comments:

scalarae said...

...............

OK... I want to comment, but realize that this is a very women thing that I even don't understand :D

But for me, whatever works for you (and if it does matter, your spouse :D)

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

I'm so torn on what to do with my wrinkles. :)

Wilson said...

wrinkles are good fun... they remind you what needs to be done.. :-) U know what, funny thing. I was looking at Mary Louise Parker on celebrity news, and there she is, all 46 years old with no wrinkles, and she swears NO plastic surgery....maybe her little jar is USD1300.... :-)whatever, u need to have what she has... :-P

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

What? 46 without a wrinkle? It's just defying gravity.
Or... it's just plain old botox. ;)
How was her smile? Stiff?