Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cold feet I'm not.
I'm just questioning of why there are so many negative notes on marriage. So many warnings and bad jokes about it.
Like someone said to me years ago: There's nothing better that you'll find after marriage about your spouse. Everything will go downhill after that.
Or, men, you can never trust them. You have to be careful.
Or, marriage is a lot of work.
Or, Over the years, your husband will break your heart. Over and over again. You'll see.
In four weddings a funeral, the boy didn't marry the girl even though they lived happily ever after.
Juliet died, Romeo took the poison, then darn it! She's back to life.
Seems like the more I see it, the more I feel like there's always the twist at the end.
Whatever happen to sleeping beauty after she got married to her prince?
We'd never know if she'd get along with the in-laws. If she gained a lot of weight and the prince went for someone younger and slimmer.

I don't doubt my boyfriend, in fact I do believe that he is the one. If there is such thing as the one. But then again everybody who set foot in a church or mosque or temple or marriage court or reception building.... wherever they held the ceremony, most likely have the same belief as I do that the person standing (or kneeling) next to them is the one.
Yet,... Tom divorced Nicole, J-Lo dumped Ben and Nelson Mandela is a widower.
I was told by my boyfriend that he read that the highest percentage of divorce reason falls under: financial problem.
I thought: really? I thought it'll be for something more obvious like infidelity,... or STD (which lead to the suspicion to infidelity anyway). Because that would be the most painful heart aching scenario, I would thought. But, maybe then most people would rather got STD than being poor.

Now, why would I still getting married after all this rambling?
Being a sceptical one once myself, I do wonder.
And I don't have an answer.
But I'll be damn if I don't try, jump down, dive and test the water.
Like the rest of the fools in love.
Because for every commotion like J-Lo and Ben, there's a Charles and Camilla.
Even when the rest of the world glare at them, I don't think they care.
And, they live happily ever after.
Then I shall, live up to the possibility that I will too live happily ever after, with better fashion sense, hairdo and without stealing someone else's husband.

Amen...

3 comments:

chocoholic said...

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson?
Dunno why... I love this couple.

Jay Leno and his wife Mavis?

That's right roomie, don't think too much about it anymore.
Take a deep breath and jump in.
You won't know how the water is till you're in it.
Only then will you figure out the way to stay afloat.

At least I think so... :P

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Yeah, what can you say, girl. Jump and test the water. Uncertainty sometimes makes the fullest of experience. ;)

Scal said...

What can I say... I myeself haven't got married yet :D.

But I think the question that should be answered is: DO you still have the interest with your spouse, if he changed physically? Or even if he become poor? I always believe that marriage is to find a friend, which will become your comapny, till death do you apart. Keyword here is company, not someone to look at, or someone to feed you.

But then again, people change, and there come the uncertainty. I must agree with you that, uncertainty is what make life interesting.