Thursday, August 03, 2006

Wives and Lovers

Get this:

Day after day,
There are girls at the office,
And men will always be men.
Don't send him off
With your hair still in curlers.
You may not see him again.

For wives should always be lovers, too.
Run to his arms the moment he comes home to you.
He's almost here.

That is a chunk of lyric from 'Wives and Lovers'.
1963.
I wonder really, what's up with that lyric. And that part about men will be men, is very discouraging for someone who is getting married, like... me.
If that is a song coming out today, women will beat the heck out of the composer.

And who is the composer, one might ask.
He is the one and only Burt Bacharach.
Ironic, actually, because I love his music so much, he's like demi-God for me. Don't know him? Well I bet you know these:
The Look of Love
Do you know the way to San Jose
Close to You
Walk on By
I say a Little Prayer
Raindrops keep falling on my head
Alfie (yes, also the soundtrack of that movie about that good for nothing playboy)
and the list goes on.

Another question was, how did his wife treat him after the release of that song?
I, myself, might:
A. Put curlers everytime he's around just to annoy him
B. Give him the spare key so he can open his own door.
C. Put on make up and find another guy
D. Find a job and flirt with other men
E. Divorce him and get half of whatever he is worth
F. Pull that 'girls will be girls' stunt (cat-fight his face off)

I greet my boyfriend without make up, let alone a dress and I also demand a hug (sometimes).

So Burt, you're talented and loaded, but if we're living in the same era and I'm some hot shot big somebody that you have a crush on, I'd still going to have to say no way Jose.

No comments: