Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Blue Ribboned Trees

Today, as the early days of my temporary unemployment, I woke up late. As late as 9:30 AM just to hear some noises outside the window, which kinda freaked me out because I live on the lucky number 13 & if it is not an eagle (or a herd of eagles) knocking & bumping their bodies at my windows, then I don't know what was.
Well, too bad, after I took a peek, it's the window washer working outside my windows. Too bad because if not then I can make a very interesting blog all about it.
Okay, moving on. Out of boredom, and my craving for Baja Fresh, I went to Michigan avenue(again...) and took some pictures of some very pretty blue ribbonned trees in front of an old church.



Little did I know at first that apparently those blue ribbons are representing all the children abused in Illinois state.
There are 27,510 child abuse cases in Illinois on 2004. And more than 8 thousands in cook county. The county where I live.
Think about that number.
Isn't that sad & heartbreaking?
I have 4 nephews, and it is beyond words how much I love them. Someone will have to step over my dead body to get their hands on them. And I can't imagine one's heart to be able to do such thing to children.
All I can wish is that next year, the number will decrease, the ribbons will be less. No matter how pretty the trees are, I rather have bald trees and super blue ones.

2 comments:

Wilson said...

Ha... thought you might do something totally radical, like temporary leave from your job... all I can say is... somehow... like it or not... lucky you !!.. really, I don't think it's a setback, at least you can ponder and set your priorities straight.. in any case, enjoy it....and do things you would never do, like, maybe, cooking ? :-0 the true reasons maybe I'll never find out,but something to cheer you up...

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Dear Wilson,...
I am an excellent cook... ;);)