Saturday, July 23, 2005

Dove Curvy Models

Have you seen the latest Dove commercial?
Oh, wait, first of all you know Dove right?
Okay… now:
Dove’s concept for their latest campaign is real beauty using real women as their spokespersons. The six models or should I say the six ordinary/real people posed only with their undergarments showing off their figures & curves. Different colors, but definitely they share something in common: they are not thin. I won't say that any of them are thin, even if you would shoot me for that. I say their sizes are around 8-10, roughly. But they look confident and radiant.
Basically, they look great to me.
All our lives, especially females, the propaganda of what is pretty or good or fits the standards have always haunted, indoctrinate or should I say intoxicate our minds. We go by the book and always try to follow the rules.
For Asian, living in Asia, you should be thin & have long hair, sleek and straight, just like satin, the straighter the better. And you have to be white, the fairer the better. If you're fat, you'll find hard time trying to buy yourself clothes.
And here, in the US, many go for blond hair, tanned skin & big boobs.
Going back to the Dove spokespersons, I tried to look at them, closely, but I don’t have more close-up images. They, like I said before, look great. And to be honest with you, I think they are not fat enough.
All of them might fit into one size of clothing, say size 8 or 10, well, around that size.
Now, what about those who has size 16 or maybe size 4.
If Dove is saying that they are celebrating real beauty, then why aren’t there models with a size 2 or 4 and a size 16 or 18 among them?
Many of us struggle to lose weight. And maybe not much of us, but there’s still a number of us who struggle to gain weight. I once read in a beauty magazine a woman’s effort to gain weight because she has no figure at all. No curves and she’s sick and tired of people thinking that she might have an eating disorder disease. I’m quoting her when she said she looks like a walking stick.
I think Dove is missing the point here. And many of you might not agree with me. But be it.
I need to see more walking sticks and fatter spokespersons along with those ladies up there.
And to be honest with you, I think all of them are pretty, they might not be thin, but they are very nice to look at. Hm,… why aren’t there a single ugly person there? Someone ugly but carry a huge smile and friendly eyes for example? Shouldn't that also be considered real beauty?
As for me and the typical Asian beauty, I refuse to join the stereotype. Let my wavy hair has its way, and my skin touched by sun. And I’m not growing my hair long & put straightening chemicals on it & sit for hours at a salon. I don’t have time for all of that.

No comments: