Monday, December 11, 2006

Grandmas Inc.

It's been a few times already that I came along with my boyfriend to his church on Saturdays.
Honestly, I am not going for the church. I went because I love my boyfriend and I want to support him. Plus, I have the responsibility to poke him when he falls asleep (just kidding, hunny).
So, one by one, people in the church start picking up my name. And I got to know some really nice people. I don't know what's up with that church, but about 90% of them are old people. And by old, I mean 80-90 something year old.

As I come to know them, I find them such sweethearts. Well, I have a soft spot for sweet old grandmas. I just find them so loveable.
Every week, after church they have potluck and we sometimes join them.
Amongst them, there is this one grandma who can't stop talking. Leaving only little chance for others to talk. Oddly enough, one of her stories is that she was a very shy young girl.
Another grandma is very Elizabeth Taylor-ish. She is a freaking ninety-four year old. She has her health, her matching suit and purse, a lovely well-colored bright red hair complete with the also-matching hat. I thought, now that's what I'm gonna look like when I'm 94. And throw in a Porsche while I'm at it.
But one grandma that I really fell in love is the grandma who came to me and gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek thanking me for coming with a dish for the potluck. A very motherly kiss. Not just a peck, but a big hug and a really hearty kiss. I sat there feeling all warm and touched.

I heart grandmas.

And the best part of it, the grandmas have husbands too. Well, not all of them, but some still do. And I look at them sitting together, eating and they still haven't run out of conversations or jokes. They are still enjoying each other's company. Hard to believe, I know, in this wretched, cruel world, where even someone who had a wife like Jenifer Aniston still cheated on her for another woman then called it 'being inspired'.
I thought, man, that's how I want my old days to be. Wrinkly. But not with just with age lines, but with smiles & jokes. Sitting, breaking bread and sharing a cup of orange juice with my guy, whom I poke once in a while in the church to keep awake. And preferably, I want to keep my teeth, but if I can't, then I hope by then I have a great dental plan.

1 comment:

chocoholic said...

That's really sweet.....