Saturday, September 03, 2005

Who? Handsome? Where?

I called my mom a couple of days ago, as we're chatting about stuff she suddenly said to me:
Mom: "hey, do you remember Aunt Yvonne?
Me: "Who?"
Mom: "Aunt Yvonne, Aunty Lynn's cousin"
Me: "Hm,... Mom, Aunty Lynn, I know, but I ain't know nothing about Aunt Yvonne"
Mom: "Tsk, you know her, she's the chatty aunt from your cousin Jenny's wedding, she has two sons, the second one is as old as you, just a few months older"
Me: "Two sons? Hm,... "
At this point, some very vague flashbacks about Jenny's wedding all came rushing back to me. Fiiuffh.. that's a quite labor-demanding wedding that one. Just cause her future in-laws very strickly stuck on the old tradition with all the super jaded ceremonies which inquired presence of family members, a lot. Multiple times. Which made me -as a participant- had to buy multiple outfits too.
Anyway, I remembered a chatty, skinny, cheery aunt. That's gotta be the one. And the two sons... eh... maybe I know them.
Me: "Do I know the sons?"
Mom: "Don't you remember? Aunt Yvonne has two sons, the eldest one is less attractive, a bit shorter than the second one. The second one is quite handsome & tall too. The second one had a huge crushed on you. Remember?"
What?
Me: "What?"
Mom: "He kept on asking about you during all those ceremonies we had."
He did?
Me: "He did?"
Me: "How come it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't know this?"
Mom: "Well, maybe you just forgot about this, I think you did know, he was asking about you to all of your cousins."
Me:"Then, if he's handsome, how come I don't like him back? Are you sure it's the handsome one? Not the other one?"
Mom: " I think you're about to go to Chicago for school, Dear, so I guess you were just not interested in being involved with any guy. Yes yes, the second one, same birth year as yours"
Oh yeaa.... that guy. Yea yea... I remember a big guy in a tux.
I think he looked quite nice too. But I don't remember quite much about him.
This is so disturbing. My brain cells.
Me: "Uhm yeah, okay, so whazzup with aunt Yvonne?"
Mom: "Her son is getting married next week and our family is invited"
Me: "Huh? Which one?"
Mom: "The second one, the one who had a huge crush on you"
Me: "See, Mom, are you sure that it's the second one that had a crushed on me? Maybe it's the other one."
Mom: "No, I'm sure, Dear, I asked Aunty Lynn when she called me the other day: which son? Is it the one that had a huge crush on ******** (fill my real name here)? Aunty Lynn said yes, that's the one"
Oh, For Zeus sake, everybody, like, E.V.E.R.Y.B.O.D.Y knew?
Ugh... this conversation disturbs me on many levels:
a. I don't like the idea of everybody knowing something about me that I don't. Especially, this kind of thing. My personal bubble is huge, y' know.
b. My mom has better memory than me.
c. My mom is almost 60. And still she has better memory than me ("yes yes, same birth year as you") I mean... w.o.o.o.w!
c. Just realized that I'm old. Jenny's wedding was four freaking years ago. Makes me even more nervous about my next birthday.
d. That supposedly handsome guy... who is he? What's going on here?
Though on the lighter note, I'm happy for the supposedly handsome guy. Wedding is a big thing. I hope he provides unlimited supply of grilled lamb, my dad loves it and he does eat a lot.

2 comments:

Wilson said...

So, its settled.. you must attend more weddings, just as you said, to keep the roller coasters rolling, ya know... :-0 and btw, its grilled mutton, no lamb around here for miles, dearie... bet you forgot what that tasted like...

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Gosh, you're right. No such thing as lamb back home.
Thinking about mutton *and goat* makes me wanna have another veggie day.