Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Lefties Rule!

I don't think I ever reveal that I am a lefty. I eat, cook, write, hit, serve volleyball, brush teeth with my left hand. I only use my right hand to shake hands, use scissor (don't know why I am dexter for that one), dribble a ball and trim my left hand fingernails.
I hate it how the culture in my country always see the right hand to be the superior hand. The left should only be used for cleaning yourself up after you answer 'nature calls'.
I hate it when people asked me, "So, if you are a lefty, then with which hand do you clean after yourself in the restroom."
To be honest, I don't know, because I don't keep track. I guess it depends on which side the toilet tissue is placed.
Another thing that annoyed me so is the manner issue. "Don't use your bad hand when you hand people something. Hand it with your good hand".
What the hell is wrong with all the left hands in this world? Or at least in my home country.
My left hand is a good as the right one.
I really do appreciate my parents who never seem to care which hand I use.
My kindergarten teacher called my mom up for a meeting at school when I was 5 year old. She told my mom that she had been encouraging me to use my right hand. But I kept on using my left one. And every time I, subconsciously, moved the pencil to my left hand, she placed it back to my right one. She also showed my mom my workbook. None of them were finished. My progress was very slow.
My mom only said one sentence to her: "So? Let her use her left hand".
And ever since, I caught up and did just fine.
Another story, my elementary stupid headmistress nun caught me when I held the spoon with my left hand during class break. She, angelically, sat with me and tutored me to use my right hand, I had to finish my stupid lunch struggling with my right hand to get the last pieces of my meal.
Now, I am an adult and no one tells me what to do anymore. I'd like to meet my ex-headmistress and slap her with my left hand. That would be a great pay-off for all the snickers behind me when she 'tutored' me "How to Use Your Right Hand 101".
Too bad I'm not residing in Indonesia anymore, I'd start a Lefty Equality Campaign and gather all the lefties in the country, just to piss the "righteous" righties.

And when I have a kid and she/he is weird in a way, I'd teach him/her just to kick everybody's asses when they try to mold/tell/advise him/her any other way. Be proud of what your quirks are. Never yield to be common and be the same as the rest of the world. Yes, that's what I'm going to tell the kid.

No comments: