Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ain't being an adult grand?

You try your best to be an adult. Think like an adult. Act like an adult. Be responsible like an adult. Voice your opinion like an adult.
Because you are. Demographic wise, a twenty-nine-year-old person is an adult.
You are independent, you work to support yourself, then if possible, try to invest. Start thinking about money management, considering the future, a place to purchase, a car to buy, your job security, how many kids you will want to have.
Then you also think about your family, the ones who used to take care of you. Now, the table has turned and you are taking care of them. Might not be financially, but could be emotionally.
You used to think your parents are all that. That they were the best, that you wanted to be like them when you grow up. Now you see that they are mere mortals. With flaws and actual weaknesses, that, in fact, you start to support.
You know, being an adult is almost like eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and bad in Eden. Because, once you eat it then you know. And everything afterwards is about consideration. And making the right decisions.
At this particular moment, that John Mayer lyric chimes in in my head "quarter life crisis".
I think, that's what I'm having but four years too late.
Sigh...
having said that, being an adult is great.
Really. I don't want to exchange this with another 10 years of adolesence, the period of life when I thought that I was the ultimate ugly duckling, just trying to fit in a cruel society.

I think I just need a nap.
A long one.
Heck, make that a hibernation phase for a whole winter.
I'm tired.

1 comment:

Scal said...

I don't think John Mayer really means exactly 25 years old as quarter life.

To tell you the truth, I miss the old time, when we didn't need to worry about place to live, or work to make a living. Or maybe not that far, but 3-4 years ago, when work are so easy and fun, not so much burden like responsible for people's fate or negotiating contract.