Sunday, December 12, 2004

Saddest Ice Rink

Today is windy. I went with my roommate to do some shopping. Not for christmas presents. We're shopping for ourselves. The sky are misty. Not a good day for people who loves the sun. But we love it. Where it almost seems like it's going to rain, but not raining yet. The sun is hiding & it gets dark really soon and the city lights are on. I just love fall & I love December. It's my birth month. My boyfriend said he already bought me something, but he hid it somewhere I wouldn't find. I went to his place yesterday, but I couldn't find it (it's okay, there's still plenty of time.... *cunning smile*).
Anyway, we walked in the loop area, the stores are crazy. We are very durable people when it comes to shopping but, we lost each other inside & we ended up calling each other to locate our whereabout. After we found each other, we just took off. "Let's go!!!" That's the first thing my roommate said. Hey, I have no complaining about that. We went straight to the door for some fresh cold air.
Man, holiday shopping can surely kill you. Or at least your good mood.
Too many people in downtown. I have no idea where they came from. I walked with my roommate & took the bus to another shopping area. The city is very nice today. The outdoor ice rink is apparently opened. Many people skating outdoor. Ice rink, especially this one brings back sad memories. I used to have a skating buddy. He's gone now. Aneurysm. He's a fine fine buddy. I wonder how his wife's doing now. After he passed away, I lost perspective for a while of how this could happen, to someone so healthy, so nice, so sincere, so young, so bright future. Endless 'why's were asked. I don't find the answer even till now.
I remember falling flat on my butt for maybe 10 times or so. Sometimes, he picked me up, and sometimes he let the cute skating guard picked me up. And he would grin from afar.
He's a cool friend. I can't pass the ice rink downtown without thinking of him. Downtown ice rink won't ever be the same. Or in this case, the mention of Madison, WI, java programming, or Roosevelt university, or My Thai restaurant (and Shrimp fried rice) and so on and so on.
I know people come & people go. I just wish he stayed a bit longer. Maybe even much longer.
If only...

No comments: