Saturday, April 29, 2006

Huffing and Puffing

I just talked on the phone to one of my best friends. One topic lead to another, then we talked about smoking and that somebody's aunt died not too long ago of lung cancer. She wasn't a smoker. Ever.
She was a second-hand smoker.
See, here is the thing. I don't care if people smoke. You can smoke all day, huff and puff all you want, I don't care.
And I don't care if the person is a female, or male, or under 21, or old, or cute, or whatever. His/her lung is his/her own business. He can burn it, drown it or donate it for all I care.
But I mind if I have to share air with the smokers while they are polluting it with their cigarettes / cigars.
That's just gross.
For me having to inhale that intoxicating air & risk my lung is unacceptable. My laziness for not working out or watcing out my diet is bad enough without me having to worry about my lungs.

My dad was an ex-smoker, my brother was an ex-smoker, my boyfriend was an ex-smoker, and I'm glad they quit, especially my dad who had been smoking for about 30 years. I bet it was hard as heck for him to quit, but he did. He's a living proof that it can be done. I'm very proud of him.
I never really appreciate his quiting smoking until I was old enough and informed enough how severe the damage can be, not only to him but potentially to the people surrounding him, like my mom or me or God forbid, my precious nephews.
And for that I thank him.
So, rather than buying cigarettes, donate it, or buy some new underwear. Imagine how many underwear you can buy in a year from the fund you allocate to buy cigarettes. You will never have to do underwear laundry ever again. Just toss it out after you wear it.
Oh, I know, buy an air purifier, I bet the smell sticks everywhere.
Bottom line, don't wait till it's too late. That's all I learnt today.
I bet it's hard. But I also bet it worth it.

*Dedicated to someone who is really close to my heart and to some others' hearts, who are also close to my heart*
(Got it?)

No comments: