Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Constant Gardener

I watched the Constant Gardener last week and to my surprise, it was a very inspiring movie. There was, however, no entertainment value. There is no Hollywood ending whatsoever, it's not a feel good movie, you will feel like crap, depressed and sad altogether afterwards. And if you are Angelina Jolie, maybe you will start adopting more children from Africa.
Every time I watch a movie that arises the issues in Africa, I always feel depressed, and ashamed of all the petty little complaints I have about life. There are just so many things to be done there, and yet, there is no oil, or other kind of beneficial resources for the super power countries worth fighting for and interfering to. Let alone the reason of humanity.
And there I was, sitting in front of my TV. Depressed and sad, and I looked at the clock, oh... 9 PM, Grey's Anatomy will start in no time.
And life goes on.
People see the movie, got the message, feel touched by it, but then... what to do?
So there we are, me and the rest of the world, in our little bubbled world, and the Africans with their poverty, hunger, health and welfare issues, living in parallel and uncrossed paths.

No comments: