Thursday, May 04, 2006

Downtown Craving

I don't know why all of a sudden I missed downtown so much. I was walking on the parking lot. It was past 6 PM and all my work was done. Today was a beautiful day, a bit cool, but still in a comfortable range. The sun was still shining, the sky was blue. It was a perfect afternoon.
I got into my car, opened the windows turned on the radio, and I sat there. For a few minutes, just trying to empty my mind and get settled.

Then I thought, how perfect it would be, if I live in downtown. I could go home, wear my gym shoes and just walk a few block to the beach. Not to do some workout (gee, no), but just to get some fresh air and shake off my work stress of my system.
I remember that I and my boyfriend planned to wait for the summer then rent some bikes and bike on the lake shore. But now that I moved here, I don't think we're going to drive for 25 miles, then try to find parking for another 30-60 minutes, walk to Navy pier, then rent a bike. Yeah, ain't going to happen.

My life is funny, when I lived in downtown, I lived in a budget and hence, couldn't get out more and lavishly 'enjoy life'. Classic story of a student/fresh graduate. And now, I have my income, but my form of recreation is going to a forest preserve and take some pictures. Or to the zoo and get really excited to see a lion.
I really really R E A L L Y miss downtown, honestly sometimes it hurts when I drove down there, just passing by the streets that I used to walk along with my friends, the stores that I used to visit or the crappy chinese restaurant which the lady owner was very fond of my roommate.
Having memories can be a bitch sometimes, but then again, this comes from me, a person who doesn't like being all sentimental or, maybe I should say, doesn't like to appear sentimental.

So, a few weeks ago, I went to the pancake house near my old apartment, and guess where we got the parking spot? Right on the side of the apartment building. That apartment is the nicest amongst all of the other apartment I've been in Chicago. Usually, I refused to think much of it, like I said,... it hurts.
But that day, I was just all eyes and ears. I found out that the little french bistro across the street was out of business. Well, I wasn't really 'wow-ed' when eating there, but it was kind of sad to see something that was part of your life start changing. Like you part ways with your closest friends and 5 years later, they already have kids or move to Europe or has become the big shot director of a huge company, and you just wonder, what happened in between? Then you start to wonder how much you guys have missed?
So anyway, I managed to brace my heart and I went into the apartment, I just had to see who's the doorman that day. And there he was, Roland, the big guy with the big smile. He paused for a second when he saw me, then he rushed towards me and gave me a great bear hug.
Roland is a very nice man. It is just impossible dislike him.

I really miss being just one block away from bars and clubs. Not that I went a lot, but the spirit of it, the beat, the honking, the siren, all the noises, made you feel like you were a part of the fiesta.

I really want to go back to the city.
Though I know, that my 'downtown' era has passed. It's really over.
Like the finale of 'Friends' where Monica moved to the suburb. I bet she felt crappy.
Just like I felt.
Sigh...
Enough drama. I need to move on.

3 comments:

chocoholic said...

*sniff* *sniff*
now you make my eyes all watery again....
I really miss Roland a lot, and Gabriel and Ron, too.
I miss both of you, and hanging out with the two of you despite people probably saying that I should let you guys have some privacy :P . I miss Jewel and Walgreen's. I miss Corner Bakery. I miss Chipotle. I miss Chicago style deep-dish pizza. I miss calling Miranti for lunch at work. I miss Nancy. I miss real English instead of Singlish that I seem to have picked up quite well. I miss the bitter cold winter that froze my bones. I miss the stinky train(well... only to a certain extent).
HUAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
*bawling my eyes out*

but nothing I can do.
*sniff*
You're right. Time to move on....

Mrs. Blue Cactus said...

Yeah...
Sucks, isn't it?
Anyway, that empty lot across Aunty Jen's apartment has become a luxurious spanking new condo building.
Man, so many things have changed, I can't even list it out. I hate to miss them, but what can I say, eh?
Just keep on looking straight ahead.

P.S. I always think of you every time I go to Kan kee.
Hehehe... chives and scallops.
Always chives and scallops.

chocoholic said...

huaaaaaa...
chives n scallop...
*yum*
*sniff*
*yum*

*sigh*
haven't had chives n scallop ever since

:(

thanks for thinking of me when u go there. maybe then the chives n scallop won't forget me also.

hahaha

on my way home. I'm at changi now.

wish me luck (for what, I have no idea... hahaha)

^_^